nutrition guide for a healthy heart
Nutrition guide for a healthy heart
Dra Sonia María Escobar
HEALTHY NUTRITION! FOR A HEALTHY HEART
One of the highest aspirations of human beings, is to be in good health. That is why we must be aware that our Food and way of life, greatly influence her. Sometimes we neglect, until the best scenario we are living the shock first and at worst living death of a loved one or risk our own lives.
Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death worldwide and are a public health problem in many countries. According to WHO estimates, all things being equal, the annual number of deaths from noncommunicable diseases will increase to 55 million by 2030.
Food plays a fundamental role to prevent diseases such as obesity, hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, diabetes, they increase the risk of having a heart attack or stroke event.
Any healthy diet plan must adapt to the caloric needs of each person, their tastes and their culture and in some cases nutrition therapy for other health problems.
You can reduce cardiovascular risk with only implement some changes in the diet.
Then certain guidelines to improve their quality of life:
- Well hydrated, water is LIFE.
- When buying choose more fruits, vegetables, whole grains, dried vegetables. Preferred products high in fiber and low in fat and cholesterol, so it is good to read the labels or labels of the products you want to buy.
- Use the following cooking methods: steamed, baked, roasted, boiled.
- Eat daily 3 to 4 servings of fresh fruit, especially recommended to start the day.
- Reduce (especially saturated) and cholesterol (fatty red meats, whole milk, cheese made with whole milk, eggs), preparations based cream and high fat desserts fat intake.
- Limit consumption of eggs 2 or 3 per week. For the other days use only the egg whites.
- Use low-fat milk, or almond milk, eat white cheese, medium or low fat content, rather than mature cheeses.
- Eat daily a good salad made of fresh vegetables, this will ensure adequate fiber intake is key to cardiovascular health.
- Decrease intake of animal protein, prefer white meat over red and do not exceed 15% of the calories from your diet.
- Reduce the daily intake of salt and refined sugar, without forgetting containing processed foods and / or packaged.
- Prefer the fat comes from olive oil, seeds (sunflower, canola, corn, soybean), avocado, nuts and oily fish, because they are high in Omega 3 and its benefits on the cardiovascular system.
- Not exceeding 30g of alcohol per day. You could drink up to 2 small glasses of red wine, no problem.
- Perform aerobic exercise such as brisk walking, for 30 or 40 minutes per day, at least 3 times a week.
- Avoid smoking and stress situations that create, conversely make pleasant and relaxing activities. Stress affects the whole body. It is more likely to suffer a heart attack in times of stress. That is to say; It is not that stress causes disease, but it can aggravate them.
- Do not forget that despite efficiently follow these tips, and in the absence of symptoms, it is recommended from age 40, perform medical control, even with a family history of heart disease, hypertension, cholesterol, diabetes, obesity and smoking.
- Finally, ask your doctor for the possibility of using an antioxidant supplement such as: astaxanthin, vitaminaC, E, Resveratrol, etc.